3ds Max For Architects
3 Laptop Requirements For 3ds Max That Architects Need To Know
Autodesk’s 3ds Max is powerful 3D-rendering software. It lets you create stunning scenes for design visualization and engaging virtual reality experiences. But not all laptops have the hardware requirements to run this software efficiently. In this article, we’ll let you know the laptop requirements and the 5 best laptops to use with 3ds.
3 Laptop Requirements For 3ds Max
Autodesk doesn’t establish minimum requirements for laptops to use with 3ds Max. They focus more on hardware requirements for desktops. However, analyzing their desktop components benchmark, we have translated this for you into laptops with a similar features.
It’s important to know that the performance of your laptop will heavily influence your workflow on 3ds Max. The key aspect for a laptop is that it can work smoothly on the viewpoint (even when it has millions of polygons and multiple objects!), and that it provides sufficient rendering speed.
There are 3 core laptop requirements to run Autodesk 3ds Max. They are CPU, GPU and RAM recommended settings.
1. CPU (Central Processing Unit)
Autodesk doesn’t have very specific requirements when it comes to CPUs. It just recommends an Intel or AMD multicore processor that supports SSE4.1. So, a quad-core laptop is your best bet – ideally, with Skylake, Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake CPUs. If your processor has hyper-threading, that’s even better.
2. GPU (Graphics Processing Unit)
Autodesk provides a small guide with GPU requirements for 3ds Max 2018. You can visit https://knowledge.autodesk to find it.
Considering that most high-end laptops have NVIDIA GeForce GPUs, we can use the data on the certification guide to compare with laptop GPUs. The least powerful GPU here is the GTX 550.
By comparing the GTX 550 benchmark on PassMark benchmark software, and with GPUs for laptops, we can determine that you should aim for a GTX 960M or higher graphics card on your laptop for 3d purposes. The more power, the better, so you should consider a GTX 1060 or 1070 (mobile).
3. RAM (Random Access Memory)
RAM is also another key aspect when dealing with resource-demanding software. Autodesk sets the minimum RAM to run the software at 4 GB; while the recommended amount is at least 8 GB. On top of that, we would also suggest your RAM be DDR4 (double data rate fourth generation).
The 5 Best Laptops To Use With 3ds Max
Now that we’ve analyzed what specs you should aim for on your 3ds Max laptop, let’s examine some great laptops to choose from.
1. MSI WT73VR 7RM-648US IP Level 17.3″ Workstation Laptop NVIDIA Quadro P5000 i7-7820HK 64GB 512GB SSD + 1TB
This MSI workstation laptop is extremely powerful and ideal for very complex tasks. It has an all-around excellent performance and deserves a place among the best laptops for 3ds Max. This includes working with various objects and a high number of polygons on the viewport, as well as with 3d-video rendering.
The Core i7-7820HK quad-core processor is its powerhouse, and it’s currently one of the fastest laptop processors available. It also features an NVIDIA Quadro P5000 video card, which offers a very high benchmark for 3d-related tasks.
On top of that, it also comes with an enormous amount of RAM and storage capacity. Its 64 GB DDR4 RAM is just as impressive, and its hybrid storage featuring one 512 GB SSD and one 1 TB HDD will be more than enough for storing your 3d software and files.
- Operating System: Windows 10 PRO
- Display: 17.3″ FHD, Anti-Glare eDP IPS-Level | Resolution: 1920×1080
- Processor: Core i7-7820HK (2.9-3.9GHz) | Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16G GDDR5
- RAM: 64GB (16GBx4) DDR4 2133MHz | Hard Drive: 512GB SSD (PCIE Gen3 x4) + 1TB (SATA) 7200RPM
- Special features: 3 Year Warranty | ISV Certified | VR READY | True Color Technology | Thunderbolt
2. Razer Blade Pro Gaming Laptop – 17″ 4K Touchscreen Gaming Laptop (i7-7820HK, 32 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, GTX 1080 6GB)
The Razer Blade Pro is known for being one of the most powerful laptops available. It has unreal hardware specs and is ideal for any demanding software like 3ds Max. It comes with the Core i7-7820HK, which has the highest benchmark among Kaby Lake mobile processors.
This Razer Blade Pro also comes with GTX 1080 dedicated GPU, which is extremely fast.
In other words, we can say that this laptop is perfect to work with 3ds Max, regardless if you are a 3d modeler, or if your work is more focused on 3d animations.
- World’s first THX Certified Mobile Device for an immersive visual and audio experience
- 17.3″ 4K UHD G-SYNC touchscreen display with 100% Adobe RGB color space coverage
- VR Ready with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics. With the ability to connect to USB, Display Port, PCI Express and Thunderbolt devices it is the most versatile connection available
- Overclocked Quad-Core 7th gen Intel Core i7 processor and 32GB memory
- World’s first ultra-low-profile mechanical keyboard, powered by Razer Chroma
3. Dell XPS9560-7001SLV-PUS 15.6″ Ultra Thin and Light Laptop with 4K touch screen display, 7th Gen Core i7 (up to 3.8 GHz), 16GB, 512GB SSD, Nvidia Gaming GPU GTX 1050, Aluminum Chassis
This Dell XPS has already been featured on Value Nomad for its quality, and once again it deserves a place in a top list. If you are looking for a versatile laptop to run Autodesk 3ds Max, this is a great option.
It’s extremely powerful, extremely light, and astonishingly beautiful. Its aluminum body gives it a luxury feel and a very appealing design for virtually any kind of user.
Its powerful i7-7700HQ is currently the most popular high-end quad-core processor available for laptops. On top of that, it also has a quite powerful GPU with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050.
- 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
- 16 GB DDR4-2400MHz up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)
- 512GB PCIe Solid State Drive, No Optical Drive
- 15.6-inch 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display
- Windows 10 Home 64bit English
4. Acer Predator 17 X GX-792-77BL 17.3″ UHD (3840×2160)
The Acer Predator series is known for its focus on gamers. However, this laptop is equally ideal for 3d-related tasks. The Acer Predator 17 X is not only extremely powerful but also beautiful and sturdy. For these reasons, it deserves a place among the best laptops for 3ds Max.
Just like all other laptops on this list, its hardware is very impressive. Its 17.3 inch UHD screen is ideal to work on 3ds Max, for both modeling and animating. Needless to say, its hardware features some of the most modern components available for laptops currently. It includes the ultra-powerful Core i7-7820HK and the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, among the most powerful currently made for laptops.
- 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7820HK Processor (Up to 3.9GHz)
- 17.3″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen IPS display with NVIDIA G-SYNC technology
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 with 8 GB of dedicated GDDR5X VRAM
- 32GB DDR4 Memory, 512GB SSD RAID 0, 1TB HDD Wireless LAN Standard : IEEE 802.11ac
- Windows 10 Home; Maximum Power Supply Wattage: 330 Watts, Maximum Memory Capacity: 64 GB
5. Eluktronics P650HS-G Premium VR Ready G-SYNC Gaming Laptop
The Eluktronics P650HS-G has extremely powerful hardware, featuring a combination of a quad-core processor (i7-7700HQ) and a high-end GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070). Apart from an amazing CPU and GPU combo, this laptop has other great highlights. Its 16 GB DDR4 RAM is also for running complex tasks, including working on 3ds Max.
- 7th Gen Intel Core i7-7700HQ (2.8GHz/3.8GHz) Quad Core Processor, Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
- 6GB GDDR5 VRAM Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 VR Ready Graphics; 16GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM
- 15.6″ Full HD IPS LED Anti-Glare Display (1920 x 1080); 1 HDMI; 2 Mini Display Ports; 1 USB 3.1 Type-C
- 512GB (500GB OP) Performance SSD; FHD 2.0MP Webcam; Intel Wireless-AC 8265 + Bluetooth v4.2
- Full-Size RGB Silver-Lining Backlit Keyboard, Sound Blaster X-FI MB5, Gigabit LAN, 1 Year Warranty
You can find all of these laptops on Amazon.com
Source – valuenomad.com
Need Help Deciding Which Laptop Is Right For You?
All the laptops listed here are high-performing computers that are ideal for all your architecture and 3D modeling tasks. If you want to upgrade your old laptop or you’re planning to buy a new one, we can help you pick the one that is best for your needs.
If you need more advice on laptop requirements for 3ds Max or any other 3D-rendering software, contact us at eSOZO in Flemington, NJ.